Feb 16, 2010

The BIG move!


When my parents would say "Oh we are moving back to Polska in a few years" it always seemed like millions of years away. I always thought that by the time the day would come I would have my whole life figured out. I would be married, with three kids and a booming career. Here I am turning 26 in a few months and I am so far away from what I predicted. I do have my freak-out moments that the most influential people in my life will be thousands of miles away. I am working hard at being OK with this fact and the freak out moments are becoming less and less of an occurrence. Maybe I am finally coming to terms with the idea. We shall see when they are actually gone how I will react.
My dad always says to me when we talk about their move- "Melisska, I never worry about you!I know you will manage!" So maybe he is right, maybe I will do just fine. In fact I will do great! My father's words always put me at ease and he knows that in fact he raised a responsible (most of them time =)haha) daughter who really has a good head on her shoulder. Maybe the owner of this head should start believing and trusting it more too!
My parents worked their asses off for many years. Their first 10 years as immigrants in the States were rough. My dad worked for rich Doctors doing their landscape, while being paid minimum wage with 4 kids to feed. My mother changed the diapers of spoiled kids, while raising her own growing children at the same time. So gosh damn it they deserve this retirement. They deserve to sit on their asses,in their lovely cozy home that they built with their hard earned money, sip on wine and eat homemade bread. They deserve to enjoy each other and marvel at what they created- a home filled with love and respect. Who am I to judge, who am I do freak out and be selfish and worry about only myself?!
I am learning to be OK with their decision. I am not going to lie. Sometimes I wish they will change their minds. It does make me sad that my mother and my father will not physically be there to share the little moments in my life. Like a promotion at work or be there as I sign the loan to my first home. It is the little things that really are the core reasons behind my freak outs. But I just have to learn to take each day as it comes and I have to realize that it is my turn to let go in a way. Just like my parents moved away from their homes, now shall I. Thank goodness for airplanes and frequent flier programs =)) And it is not like they are moving forever and I won't see them for years and years- I will be kidnapping their asses back to the States for a visit!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment