So as many of you know my mother has been a breast cancer survivor for 5 years!Go Mommmy!! Considering that from my mother's side we are blessed with many fabulous and healthy women, starting from my grandmother who is 90, her sister Irka who is 93 and her younger sister Marta who is 89-talk about good genes, eh?! All are alive, healthy (knock on wood) and have NEVER had breast cancer (thank God!). So when suddenly 5 years ago my mother goes for her routine mammogram it came to our utter shock and disbelieve....my mother has breast cancer.Shortly after my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I was blessed to have both parents survive this awful disease called cancer. Unfortunately, cancer does not discriminate against age, color, ethnicity or gender. It attacks the innocent, the poor, the young, the evil people and the people who we call soul mates who stand next to us and join us on this journey called life. You see this blog is not meant to be sad or sappy. Rather it is for women to take preventative measures to take care of our boobies =)
I often wonder about my own potential risks since my mother had breast cancer. I have had my mom check me for lumps...it sounds weird, I know. But when your own mother gets hit by such an awful issue you cannot help, but be extra careful.Every time I go for a checkup I asked my gyno for ultrasounds, since I am too young for mammograms-Kaiser still refuses to give me an ultrasound, even though there are many cases with women my age getting breast cancer.But I ALWAYS make sure to ask the Doctor to check for any abnormalities in my breasts. Here are a few pointers from "Women's Health" on how to keep your breasts healthy:
* Stay at a healthy weight. Being overweight can increase your risk of developing the disease as well as reduce your risk of surviving it.
* Break a sweat-aim to exercise for 45 minutes at least three times a week. Regular gym time may help prevent the disease by boosting immune function, warding off obesity and lowering levels of estrogen and insulin.
*Drink less alcohol-research has shown that two drinks a day could increase breast cancer risk by 21%!!!!!!
*Eat your veggies- a low-fat diet can do a lot to reduce your risk.
*Know your family history. In about 15% of breast cancer cases, there is a family history of the disease. If you have one first-degree relative who had breast cancer, your lifetime risk doubles. Yikesss!!
*Get checked. All woman should have a clinical breast exam at least every three years and annual exams and mammograms starting at age 40 (although recently there has been debate about increasing the age to 50). Still I plan to start earlier, not later.
* Consider genetic testing.

So this blog is dedicated to you mommy. For being so strong regardless of the situation! For defining for me what a perfect mother should be. You are the source that keeps your four children,husband, two daughter-in-laws and three grandchildren happy every day of the week. Without you pani Tereska I would literally be lost. You are the sweetest and most sincere person and you continue to rebuild my faith in humans. Thank you for being an amazing wife to tata and for being my personal angel in life. You along side Mr. Jerzy Kozera have created a warm home and a loving family that adores and respects you =) And for that I thank you! So here is to another 5 years of being cancer free! Yahoooo!!! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment